Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see https://www.adiscon.com/news/support-forum-set-to-read-only-mode/

Windows XP Scanner and Camera Wizard

Windows XP and Windows 2000 related discussions

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Windows XP Scanner and Camera Wizard

Postby rjcarr316 » Sun May 25, 2003 9:38 am

I have an Olympus 3020 Digital camera and access to about 7 computers running Windows XP (Pro SP1). The camera connects via USB and is autodetected as the correct device.

When Windows autodetects any device, it brings up a list programs asking what you'd like to do ("What do you want Windows to do?"), and if you'd like to always perform this function when you connect the device ("Always do the selected action.").

One of the options for the camera was to start the Scanner and Camera Wizard. I think at some point I selected 'Cancel' with the 'Always do the selected action.' checked, and now no matter what I do, I cannot get back into the scanner and camera wizard.

When I plug the camera in, it just says it is connected in the system tray. When I try to manually start the wizard, it says "The computer cannot detect the scanner or camera". I have tried removing all the drivers for the camera (uninstall from the device manager), and start over, but the same problem occurs. I have tried tweakui and got nothing to change. I even tried modifying the autoplay settings on the removable drive listing for the camera, and nothing there either.

On any one of my other Windows XP machines the wizard starts up with no problem. Plug in the camera, get the list of options, choose Scanner and Camera wizard, and it works great.

My question is, how do I get Windows to autodetect the camera and start the wizard when I make the connection? Any help would be appreciated.
rjcarr316

Re: Windows XP Scanner and Camera Wizard

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:09 pm

[quote="rjcarr316"]I have an Olympus 3020 Digital camera and access to about 7 computers running Windows XP (Pro SP1). The camera connects via USB and is autodetected as the correct device.

When Windows autodetects any device, it brings up a list programs asking what you'd like to do ("What do you want Windows to do?"), and if you'd like to always perform this function when you connect the device ("Always do the selected action.").

One of the options for the camera was to start the Scanner and Camera Wizard. I think at some point I selected 'Cancel' with the 'Always do the selected action.' checked, and now no matter what I do, I cannot get back into the scanner and camera wizard.

When I plug the camera in, it just says it is connected in the system tray. When I try to manually start the wizard, it says "The computer cannot detect the scanner or camera". I have tried removing all the drivers for the camera (uninstall from the device manager), and start over, but the same problem occurs. I have tried tweakui and got nothing to change. I even tried modifying the autoplay settings on the removable drive listing for the camera, and nothing there either.

On any one of my other Windows XP machines the wizard starts up with no problem. Plug in the camera, get the list of options, choose Scanner and Camera wizard, and it works great.

My question is, how do I get Windows to autodetect the camera and start the wizard when I make the connection? Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]

computer cannot detect scanner or camera....

Postby kb » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:34 pm

I was having the same problem. Found the answer on another forum.
Uninstall Real Player and try again. This worked for me. I have XP
Home Edition. Downloading pictures was working fine for years and
all of a sudden stopped working. It was the latest Real Player update...
Good luck.
kb

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:43 pm

Just uninstall Real Player 10 and the scanner and camera wizard will work just fine.........

Windows XP Scanner and Camera Wizard Problems

Postby pdirks67 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:30 am

I had the same problem after downloading the latest version of Real Player 10. I would have never made the connection, but uninstalling did the trick! Thanks for the tip!
pdirks67

Windows XP Scanner and Camera Wizard Problems

Postby NCD » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:23 pm

Cheers for the advise about uninstalling real player 10,Ihave been ripping my hair out tring to get the camera wizard to work again,wouldn't of tried this untill reading this forum
NCD

Me too!

Postby saj » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:00 am

I had the same issue with Windows XP Pro Scanner and Camera Wizard not starting up when I connected my Olympus C-3020 Zoom. I uninstalled RealPlayer 10 and now it works!! Thanks everyone! I also went to the RealPlayer site and they have some FAQ about how USB devices might not work with RealPlayer and its not their fault and go bug the other guy! Sound like ineptitude to me.
saj

Postby amber.2 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:43 am

Thanks for the information i also had the same problem even took my pc to the shop for repairs even they didnt know how to fix it thank god for google
amber.2

Thank You Thank You!!!!

Postby Happy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:20 pm

Great job guys. I have been going nuts for days!!!

Thanks!!!! :D
Happy

thank you!

Postby tba1 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:39 am

I, too, have been pulling my hair out for the last few days trying to figure out why the scanner is suddenly not working. I never would have thought it was connected to RealPlayer! Bless you!!!!
tba1

Microsoft fix

Postby Illinifan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:12 pm

There is also a Microsoft fix for this called "Autofix".

You can read about it here: http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBN/tip6900/rh6952.htm

This worked for me.
Illinifan

SCANNER AND CAMERA WIZARD

Postby JannyG » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:34 pm

I am having the same problem. Every time I plugged my camera in to the USB port the Scanner and Camera Wizard popped up. All of a sudden, nothing! I spent 4 hours last night trying to figure it out going back and forth wih HP thinking it was my computer. Finally I called my camera company and they said many people have called with the problem and it is definitely a Windows XP issue. I will try uninstalling Real Player when I get home but here's an alternative to accessing your pictures for those still having the problem: Click on My Computer, then find the appropriate Removable Disk Drive and click. Then click on DCIM folder, then 100KM......, and that will take you to your thumbnails. You will then have to copy and paste the pictures to the desired location. Good luck and thanks for the Real Player tip.
JannyG

Re: Microsoft fix

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:33 am

Illinifan wrote:There is also a Microsoft fix for this called "Autofix".

You can read about it here: http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBN/tip6900/rh6952.htm

This worked for me.

I love you.

This autofix is the sh1t.

Worked perfectly.

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:52 pm

Same problem for me, but a. Have not got Real Player. B Autofix said there is a prblem, but cannot fix it! Also lost the Printing Wizard too.

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:35 pm

up untill now my scanner has worked perfectly but now it just says you need 2 download all the scanner n camera wizard software but where from ? :cry:

Google Ads

Next

Return to Windows-Expert