VRF aware rsyslog

This is the place for developers to discuss bugs, new features and everything else about code changes.

Google Ads

VRF aware rsyslog

Postby robertohjdasilva » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Does rsyslog currently (or in the future plans) provide any support for VRF?

I was wondering if we can:
1. Specify a VRF for each rule that forwards events to a remote syslog server, so that we can forward syslog messages to servers with overlapping IP addresses on distinct VRFs. In other words, something semantically equivalent to "*.* <IP-address> <VRF-id>"
2. Somehow pass the VRF associated to each syslog message while calling the standard syslog () API, so that the rsyslog daemon can determine the VRF and select the appropropriate pair (server IP, VRF).

If such functionality is simply not possible, are there any alternatives to provide VRF aware syslog services using rsyslog?

I have been doing some research on the topic on the web, but could not find any clear information, except for references to the Cisco products.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
robertohjdasilva
New

Urgent Question?

• Pulling out your Hair?
  • Wasting Time and Money?
  • Deadline Approaching?

Re: VRF aware rsyslog

Postby dlang » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Rsyslog does not involve itself with routing, it depends on the OS configuration for that.

I'm not clear as to what you are trying to accomplish with this, but I don't see how you can talk to two systems that have the same IP even with VRF.

Assuming it's possible, what is an application supposed to do to 'support VRF'? Are there additional/different parameters that it uses on the socket open() command?

everything I'm finding from a quick search on VRF is talking about this being a router-level thing that works for routing traffic over VPNs, allowing the routers to deal with different sets of VPNs that use the same address ranges. But this is when there is _no_ communications between the different sets of VPNs, so a given IP address is unique within all the things it can talk to.

now, most of this is from the wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_r ... forwarding If this isn't the right VRF, or if there is another article that would give me more info, point me at the right place to look.
dlang
Frequent Poster

Google Ads

Return to Developer's Corner