using %time...% in Path/filename causes logging to stop

Support, Questions and Discussions on WinSyslog

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

using %time...% in Path/filename causes logging to stop

Postby RoyalEF » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:00 pm

So i'm trying to see if this product can meet our logging needs. We currently log about 10 million msgs per hour on our Kiwi server and we are going to be increasing that by possibly double over the next year.

In playing with inserting variable into the FILENAME, I found that using either timestamp (%timereported% %timegenerated%) causes the WriteToFile to fail completely. Nothing gets logged. We're using the lastest 10.2.497. If I remove the time insertion, logfiles resume.
The checkbox Use UTC IN FILENAME doesn't do anything either.
Also If I insert those variables into the Path it breaks logging too.

I think what we really want to do is not supported. Something like this...

D:\Logs\%YYYY-MM-DD%\%YYYY-MM-DD%_%HH%-%MM%_%source%.log

Has MonitorWare considered more flexible timestamping inserts? Did the timestamps ever work? or is this a recent bug?

We break our logs out by Day, hour, OR minute based upon volume. One firewall will send about 30megabytes of logs per minute. Breaking out per minute makes them incredibly searchable--easy to search the exact time of the incident.

I see I can break files by size, but that doesn't make the filenames predictable when doing research.

Thanks.
RoyalEF
New

Re: using %time...% in Path/filename causes logging to stop

Postby alorbach » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:25 pm

Hi,

I just answered a simular case. %timereported% and %timegenerated% contain colons (:) which cannot be contained in a filename.
However by using the property replacer properly, you can archive a filename like this:
D:\Logs\%YYYY-MM-DD%\%YYYY-MM-DD%_%HH%-%MM%_%source%.log

In Property Replacer language this would be configured like this:
File Path Name: %timegenerated:1:10%
File Base Name: %timegenerated:1:10%_%timegenerated:12:13%-%timegenerated:15:16%_%source%

See the samplescreenshot below.

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
Attachments
WinSyslog-file-minute2.png
WinSyslog-file-minute2.png (24.38 KiB) Viewed 16877 times
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to WinSyslog