Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see https://www.adiscon.com/news/support-forum-set-to-read-only-mode/

SMTP Probe

Support, Questions and Discussions on MonitorWare Agent

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

SMTP Probe

Postby cnx » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:50 pm

I'm trying to setup a SMTP probe but seem to be having no success. I've setup the service and configured it to also generate an event if the probe is successful. The service is enabled but I'm getting nothing in the event log. I don't have any rules set yet but I figured that it would still put something in the event log. Does anyone have a quick howto guide that could help me or point me in the right direction? I also want to setup a CPU and memory monitor.

Thanks.
cnx
New

Postby alorbach » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:46 pm

Hi all,

for all others as information, this problem has been solved by our support team by email. I am posting an answer for all others who may run into this problem:

If you want the data from your probes be written into your EventLog, you need to setup a "Write to EventLog" action along with your send mail actions. I guess that was a misunderstanding. The probes do not directly write data into the EventLog by themselves.

Think of the services as data gatherers. The dig for data (by the kind of service you created). In the rulesets and rules you specify what happens with this data. So you just set in your rulesets to send emails on certain occurences. I guess this worked so far. But, if you want the log data to be written to the EventLog, you need the above mentioned action. Simply add the second action along with the send mail action.

I hope this answered your question ;)

If there is anything else you want to know, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Florian Riedl
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to MonitorWare Agent