Problem with EventMonitor - Detailed overview

Support, Questions and Discussions on MonitorWare Console

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Problem with EventMonitor - Detailed overview

Postby tosh » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:31 pm

Hi

Whenever I click on the EventMonitor Detailed View, or Multi-server overview, I get the following error:

Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcException: ERROR [42S22] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'SystemID'.
at Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection.HandleError(IntPtr hHandle, SQL_HANDLE hType, RETCODE retcode)
at Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcCommand.ExecuteReaderObject(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
at Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(Object data, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable)
at Adiscon.MonitorWare.Console.EventViewForm.fillList(Int32 pageNumber)

It looks like it can't find the SystemID column in the database, but it's there - the DB was updated with the SQL scripts you supplied.

The SystemID column is in the Systems table within the DB - do I need to do anything to populate this?

I am running the updated EXE

tia
tosh
Frequent Poster

Postby tosh » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:41 pm

and - same thing happens if I try and edit the Available Views.

All my agents are v1.2 (3 servers) and my PIX is also logging to the database.

The only changes I've made from default are that my Event Log Monitors are logging System, Security and Application logs as different Facilities - this is used by my quick DB application to differentiate between the differnet event log sources.

Do you have any documentation on how the database is structured for use by my developers? I don't like using different facilities, but haven't had a proper look at how the rows are created to pull, for example, all system event logs from a particular server.
tosh
Frequent Poster

Postby rgerhards » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:01 pm

Tosh,

just a quick reply, I'll see that we can get the full schema online.

SystemID is reserved for future use. So far, it is always NULL.

There is also a column "EventLogType" which holds the actual Windows Event Log part, e.g. "Application", "System", "Security". Please note it is a character string.

HTH
Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby tosh » Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:28 pm

does the multi-server overview or the detailed overview in the console work for you?
tosh
Frequent Poster

Postby rgerhards » Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:29 pm

It does ... but maybe we don't have the right test data to show any issues. Do you receive an error message?

Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby tosh » Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:30 pm

also...

I'm not using the Legacy Format in my Event Log Monitor - should I be using this for the console to work?

If I turn it on - what's it going to do?
tosh
Frequent Poster

Postby rgerhards » Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:34 pm

Tosh,

ignore my previous post - obviously the error message is right at the top of this thread. I think I didn't read this thread rightly all the time... ;)

Legacy format is not required for the console. It is necessary for MoniLog and for some customers who expect the EventReporter format. When turned on, it'll include many of the event properties into the message, where other scripts can then parse it out. No need to do this with MonitorWare console, it'll just take up more display space.

I will no re-evaluate your message. Sorry for the delay, but I definitely got it wrong first place and also did not pass it on correctly...

Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby tosh » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:34 am

ok thanks for letting me know
tosh
Frequent Poster

Same issue with SystemID

Postby schmidman » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:54 pm

I am getting the exact same issue. I have opened a case, but am still waiting for some response.

Dave
schmidman
Avarage

Solution to this issue

Postby schmidman » Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:10 pm

There is another POST you can find by doing a search for SystemID. It says to add the SystemID field manually with the SQL Enterprise Manager to the SystemEvents table as [int] NULL. This appears to have resolved the problem in my case.
schmidman
Avarage

Postby wrehman » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:42 am

Hello,

Let me quickly explain the cause of this:

The reason for the exception that you get in EventMonitor - Detailed Overview View is that it references a field called "SystemID" which is used by MonitorWare Console and is NOT present in the older systemevents table (installed with other products). We have made a utility called "MonitorWare Database Upgrade Utility". It checks for such discrepencies in the database and if it finds some column missing in the systemevents table, it adds it. It also generates new tables needed by console if they are not already present. This tool is under its final testing and hopefully we will upload it on the web in a day or so. You can then download it and run it. It will upgrade your database and that exception will disappear.

Best Regards
Wajih-ur-Rehman
Adiscon
wrehman
Adiscon Support

Google Ads

Return to MonitorWare Console