Low Disk Space

Discussions on Microsoft's new server operating system. This works in conjunction with the http://www.windows-expert.net web pages.

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Low Disk Space

Postby Luke Holdsworth » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:44 am

Hi

We run a couple of Windows servers and one of them is showing about 20mb free disk space. After the initial panic i noticed that everything will still running like a dream. I cannot find any place that the space is being consumed and the last time i checked we had 16gb + free on the server in question.

Has anyone come across this before? Any idea why this would be happening or how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Luke Holdsworth
New

Postby alorbach » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:54 am

Download a Tool like Total Commander: http://www.ghisler.com/
It is another directory listener, but with many features windows explorer doesn't have.

Once you have installed this tool and started it, changed to the root of your c drive. Now hit the combination "ALT+SHIFT+ENTER". This with calc the directory sizes. Then you will exactly see where the space goes to, and you can go deeper into the directories.

regards,
Andre
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Luke Holdsworth » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:20 pm

Hi Andre

Thank you very much for the advise. I have carried this out and it seems to be shedding no light. The drive is 19gb and the results of this process seem to only show it consuming about 4gb at present. I have restarted the server and its made no difference but the capacity is still showing at 47mb in total left. As i mentioned before this cannot be right as i have used a server with only a couple of hundrred megs left and it was running unsuably slow, whereas mine is running perfectly, so im more than a little stumped!

Luke Holdsworth
New

Postby Luke Holdsworth » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:30 pm

Problem solved.

Seems that overnight about 12gigs worth of file starting with SET and ending in .tmp have appeared on the server in system32 and system32/drivers, which i can seemingly delete. They werent showing up in any explorer for some reason.

Thanks for the program link however, it will be useful in the future for sure.

Cheers again.
Luke Holdsworth
New

Postby alorbach » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:23 pm

It might failed under the category hidden or protected system files. You may did not see them in windows explorer due the explorer settings.

But good to hear you found the evil file ;)

regards,
Andre
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to Windows Server 2003