Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see https://www.adiscon.com/news/support-forum-set-to-read-only-mode/

Can not get MWAgent 5.1 to work in NT4

Support, Questions and Discussions on MonitorWare Agent

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Can not get MWAgent 5.1 to work in NT4

Postby Mats Hjelte » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:36 am

Hi!

Our current installation uses MWAgent 2.1. The installation works. We are now trying to upgrade to version 5.1, but the upgraded MWAgent service fails. We get an Entry Point Not Found when we try to run mwagent.exe. The missing procedure name is GetSystemDefaultUILanguage.

According to the users manual for 5.1 (System Requirements) NT4 is supported. Is this correct?

Do you have any solution for this problem?

We were able to find this from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142606

SYMPTOMS
While installing, launching, or using features in a Windows 95 or Windows 98 application under Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000, the following error message appears: Program.exe - Entry Point Not Found. The procedure entry point SomeProcedureName could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

Program.exe - Entry Point Not Found. The procedure entry point SomeProcedureName could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

CAUSE
The application is misinterpreting the operating system version and is trying to call a procedure in the Windows 95 or Windows 98 version of the Dynamic Link Library (DLL) that is unavailable in Windows NT version 4.0 or Windows 2000.

Clicking OK, the only option, may or may not allow the application to continue.

RESOLUTION
Contact the application vendor for an updated version that runs under Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000.

Best regards
Mats Hjelte
Mats Hjelte
Avarage

Postby alorbach » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:28 pm

Dear Mats,

technically MWAgent would still work on NT4.
Unfortunetaly we are using a newer Microsoft CRuntime library (MSVC) and other Thirdparty libraries which aren't compatible with NT4 anymore. This also includes the OpenSSL and NET-SNMP library.

The missing API entry "GetSystemDefaultUILanguage" error is actually generated by the Microsoft CRuntime library, or by one of the runtime libraries.

The Agent documentation needs to be corrected here.

I am sorry that I have no better answer right now :(
The latest Version of MWAgent which runs on Windows NT4 is MonitorWare Agent 3.1 which can still be downloaded from here:
http://www.mwagent.com/en/Download/

--
best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby rgerhards » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:57 pm

Mats,

sorry for the doc problem. Is there is real urgent need to get it going on NT4, we can try to achive that. However, based on the testing results I have seen this does not sound trivial. The root problem is that Microsoft has ceased support and consequently does no longer pay attention in the run time libraries. However, we can not use a too-old compiler because we are using some compiler features not available in them.

Looking forward to your feedback,
Rainer Gerhards
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby Mats Hjelte » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:13 pm

As always you are quite responsive. Thank you!

Our main reason for upgrading to the latest release is to avoid the logging problem described in http://forum.adiscon.com/htopic,1300,.html?
The problem was first solved in version 4.3.

Would it be possible for you to provide us with a variant of version 3.1 that fixes the logging problem and is still NT4 compatible?

Best regards
Mats Hjelte
Mats Hjelte
Avarage

Postby alorbach » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi Mats,

I can't promise anything yet, but I will try to get the latest 4.x Version to work for NT4, so to compile with VC2003.

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby alorbach » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Hi Mats,

I have managed to get the MWAgent Version 4.4 Build 333 working on NT4. You will require to have the ActiveDirectory Client installed for Windows NT4.

And you have to install MonitorWare Agent 3.1 on the NT4 machine before.

If you installed both, download this special NT4 build and copy it's files over your existing installation. The archive also contains the AD Client for NT4 you need to have installed.

I hope this helps - best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby alorbach » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:03 pm

I have written a faq article for this case as well, please see here:
http://www.monitorware.com/Common/en/FA ... owsnt4.php

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Mats Hjelte » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:44 pm