Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see https://www.adiscon.com/news/support-forum-set-to-read-only-mode/

Event ID 2

Discuss Windows Event Log events. What they mean, what they tell you about your machine's security ... and whatever questions else you have.

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Event ID 2

Postby karthikraghav » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:09 pm

Dear all,

I am getting the following error and my system reboots whenevr the error occurs.

Event ID: 2

Source : ParVdm

Description: Unable to get device object pointer for port object

How to over come this situation. Pls some one help me.

thanks & rgds
-Karthik.
karthikraghav

Event ID: 2

Postby 4znoles » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:10 am

I don't know, but I'm using Windows XP Prof and I'm having the exact same problem. Looking back at my system logs, this error pops up a few seconds to a couple of minutes before unexpected restart/reboot of my computer, and I can really find NO info on the subject. Happens several times daily - already corrupted a Quicken file I've been using for 12+ years, and might have to pay $199 to Intuit to recover. microsoft.com doesn't help, a google just gets me limited info, such as to your request for info with no helpful reply, etc. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.
4znoles

Postby asdf » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:51 am

Same here. No info
asdf

Postby MB » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:46 am

I'm having the same problem. Some days, no undesired shutdowns, other days, 6 or 7 times. Mouse and keyboard freeze and I have to turn off, or screen goes black and puter restarts. ParVdm and Event ID 2. Driving me batty! Anybody have a solution?
MB

Postby therget » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:16 pm

The only reference point i have, is that PARVDM.SYS is a service,
that is used by something on your computer to print at the parallelport
(usually for a non-plug and play printer).
Perhaps, you should try to delete all printers and reinstall them.
If that is not enough, i would suggest a repair-installation.
therget
Frequent Poster

Parvdm - WinXP Pro Reboot & Blue error Window

Postby orchided » Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:35 pm

terget said,"The only reference point i have, is that PARVDM.SYS is a service,
that is used by something on your computer to print at the parallelport
(usually for a non-plug and play printer).
Perhaps, you should try to delete all printers and reinstall them.
If that is not enough, i would suggest a repair-installation."

GOD Bless you "therget! I too had the problem expressed by each of the folks in this thread. Fortunately, I took "therget"'s suggestion. I am running WinXP Pro, and have two printers (HP 870Cse and an Epson Stylus Photo 1280). After having had a new mother board installed, I commenced having the terrible "reboot" and MS blue screen error notices. These reboots and "critical error notices" were occuring as many as 10-15 times each day - sometimes more. I did as "therget" suggested and removed both of printers from the "printer and faxes". I then rebooted (intentionally), and used the system for 24 hours without a single system reboot, or warning screen. I then reinstalled my printers and now, after 24 hours I have yet to experience a system reboot or MS blue screen warning. I highly recommend that the other posters in this thread, having the reboot problem, take "therget"'s suggestion. Believe me, IT WORKS! :D :!:
orchided

Unable to get device object pointer for port object

Postby BobbyC » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:50 am

I.m getting this event as well but I get no reboots.Instead my PC fails to boot at certain times.I then need to restart and it goes into XP.More annoying than anything!
BobbyC

parvdm error

Postby bobs251 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:03 am

if u guys have an extra parallel port, try:
change lpt2 to lpt3 or visa vesa
on the port settings try unchecking "never use an interupt" and check "use any interupt assignred to this port"
bobs251

Event ID 2 FIX

Postby Master of disaster » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:46 am

I appear to have found a fix for the following error event ID PARVDM
“Unable to get device object pointer for port object”.
Download a copy of the PARVDM.sys and copy it into c:\winnt\system32drivers\
This fix worked for me so hope this helps.
Master of disaster

FIX boot error with extra parallel port

Postby Strugenbaker » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:46 am

i put an extra parallel port PCI card to my computer, because my onboard port is damaged... WinXP set this port to LPT3 and i begin to get the parvdm error in the log error window , and my pc fail to boot frequently...

note: to avoid conflicts I disabled the original parallel port of my motherboard at the bios setup

I FIX THIS ERROR with the Bobs251 comments. i change LPT3 to -> LPT1 and check "use any interupt assignred to this port" in the port properties window . Now my PC is 100% good :D

thanks you bobs!
Strugenbaker

therget

Postby Zolo » Wed May 04, 2005 2:29 pm

Hi everyone.
I've been read about problems with ParVdm.sys,
which may be caused with printers.
I want to ask if somebody can tell me if this error : " unable to get device pointer for port object." ( Event ID: 2) which is caused by source ParVdm.sys may cause a net problems ( falling down the LAN communication).
I'll be very thankfull for any help.

Best rgrds.
Zolo

Re: FIX boot error with extra parallel port

Postby Liposome » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:03 am

Strugenbaker wrote:i put an extra parallel port PCI card to my computer, because my onboard port is damaged... WinXP set this port to LPT3 and i begin to get the parvdm error in the log error window , and my pc fail to boot frequently...

note: to avoid conflicts I disabled the original parallel port of my motherboard at the bios setup

I FIX THIS ERROR with the Bobs251 comments. i change LPT3 to -> LPT1 and check "use any interupt assignred to this port" in the port properties window . Now my PC is 100% good :D

thanks you bobs!

Thnks guys! You've been realy helpfull ^_^
Liposome
New

Google Ads

Return to Windows Events