ommysql does not write to database with MySQL 5.6 and 5.7

General discussions here

Moderator: rgerhards

Google Ads

ommysql does not write to database with MySQL 5.6 and 5.7

Postby emhohensee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 pm

I've got a somewhat complex rsyslog configuration to pull bro logs into MySQL by calling a stored procedure. After much trial and error, I've discovered that MySQL 5.5 will accept the writes from rsyslog, but 5.6 and 5.7 will not. rsyslog seems to discard any error messages from MySQL so I have no idea why this is.

Are MySQL 5.6/5.7 supported and can someone recommend a way to capture the output from the mysql client? Any little thing (syntax error, function not defined, typos) turns into a huge headache because rsyslog provides no feedback whatsoever from the database. It either writes or it doesn't.

Thanks.
emhohensee
New

Urgent Question?

• Pulling out your Hair?
  • Wasting Time and Money?
  • Deadline Approaching?

Re: ommysql does not write to database with MySQL 5.6 and 5.

Postby dlang » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Try running with debugging turned on, that produces a lot of data, but you should be able to just do startup and a single failed log to MySQL and see what the debug log reports.

Also check the MySQL logs, they may report failures of some sort as well.
dlang
Frequent Poster

Re: ommysql does not write to database with MySQL 5.6 and 5.

Postby emhohensee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:55 pm

I've looked in the MySQL error log. MySQL starts without any errors and for 5.6 at least there are no additional log lines created from starting/stopping rsyslog. Not even INFO logs about a connection. I'm certain the username/pass/database/host are correct. I have a 5.5 VM configured exactly the same way that is currently working.

Using rsyslogd -N 6 yields no syntax errors in the file. I've been trying to tcpdump the mysql traffic from rsyslog but curiously barely anything shows up.
emhohensee
New

Google Ads

Return to General