Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see https://www.adiscon.com/news/support-forum-set-to-read-only-mode/

RedHat 7 & Rsyslog 8 & Systemd

Everything related with getting rsyslog up and running (but not beyond that point ;))

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

RedHat 7 & Rsyslog 8 & Systemd

Postby kenn » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:12 pm

I would really like to standardize on rsyslog v8 across RedHat EL 6 & 7 Servers. In rsyslog v7 there was a plugin, with performance overhead, named "imjournal" that was to mitigate systemd database corruption. Is this still needed for rsyslog v8?

I have not been able to find an imjournal version for syslog 8 or much information about this and am concerned that my RHEL 7 servers will have an issue if I just stop using the imjournal plugin. This article http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/imjournal.html near as I can tell is from back in July and there is no mention of specific versions of RedHat, Rsyslog or Systemd. The video link on this page is from June of 2013.

Thanks for any help.

kenn
kenn
New

Urgent Question?

• Pulling out your Hair?
  • Wasting Time and Money?
  • Deadline Approaching?

Re: RedHat 7 & Rsyslog 8 & Systemd

Postby rgerhards » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi Kenn,

I think you have mis-read the doc: it cautions you against using imjournal. The database corruption you mention is something that happens inside the journal, and can get imjournal into big troubles. If you use imuxsock, then this can never happen. Nevertheless, imjournal is still part of the rsyslog project. Most probably, though, I guess there is no Adiscon package for it. The core reason is that we really do not want anyone to use this plugin without very good reason. And if so, it's probably best to build it from source.

Hope that clarifies.
Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby kenn » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:40 pm

Ranier,

Sorry for the cross post to the email list, I didn't know the best mode of communication.

This clears things up and I will not use the imjournal and instead configure systemd to send syslog to rsyslog.

Thanks for the reply,

Kenn
kenn
New

Postby rgerhards » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:41 pm

no problem with the cross, post, makes sense to do so. I just didn't want to answer twice ;)
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby dlang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:55 pm

There is definantly confusion on this topic. A recent update to systemd disables sending logs to the uxsocket by default, using the existance of this plugin as justification for it not being needed (along with the fact that it's very slow and expensive for the journal to do this).

The latest word is that the next release of systemd is supposed to allow for /dev/log to not be created and managed by systemd, allowing direct access to rsyslog.
dlang
Frequent Poster

Postby rgerhards » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:27 pm

It's still correct that imjournal is dangerous to use. Looks like the systemd team has finally managed to thrash logging ;)
rgerhards
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to Installation