No records in db

Support, Questions and Discussions on WinSyslog

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

No records in db

Postby rlocone » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:24 am

Hello All!

I'm new to winsyslog and currently evaluating it. In the interactive server realtime messages are coming over the screen. I've setup the ODBC and installed the MySQL driver. Also, I've setup phpLogCon. In phpLogCon there aren't any records. Pulled up phpmysqladmin and in there the table are present but no records. So for some reason winsyslog isn't passing the messages to the data base.

Any help would be suggested,

Admiral Ross
rlocone
New

Postby rgerhards » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:36 am

I guess there is some problem with the configuration. Please check the Windows Application event log of the machine that should write the messages to the database table. There could be a problem recorded. If that is not the case, I'd volunteer to look at your config. But as this is sensitive, please drop us a line at support@adiscon.com in that case.

Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby melwong » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:24 am

Hi,

I have the same error also. No records in my db.

I am using SQLite via ODBC though. http://www.sqlite.org
Heres my Application log.

Error while applying an action - skipping action 'Write To Database 3'. Error is 'ExecuteStatement: SQL Execute (Statement 'INSERT INTO SystemEvents (Facility, Priority, FromHost, Message, ReceivedAt, DeviceReportedTime, CustomerID, SystemID, SysLogTag, EventLogType, NTSeverity, EventSource, EventUser, EventCategory, EventID, EventBinaryData, InfoUnitID, Importance, MaxAvailable, CurrUsage, GenericFileName) values(?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)') failed with error '00000''.

Is there anything wrong in Winsyslog 8.1 write to ODBC Action ?

First time new user of winsyslog, hope it doesn;t disappoint me.
melwong
New

Postby alorbach » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:00 pm

WinSyslog uses advanced parametric inserts to write into a database using ODBC. This means the ODBC Driver must be aware of parametric inserts, and albe to handle them.

We know that the driver for MSSQL, MySQL and MS Access is able to.

From what you describe, it seems like the ODBC Driver for sqlite is not able to, it doesn't return a useful error number.

From where did you get the ODBC Driver?
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby melwong » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Thanks for yourreply.

I got the sqlite ODBC driver from
http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/

The reason I uses sqlite is because its database tables are all stored into a single file. Its easier and smaller to transport the syslog files rather than huge text files.

It will be good if syslog is able to natively support sqlite too. (In addition to Access, MSSQL and MySQL)

Does winsyslog inserts conform to SQL92 ?
melwong
New

Postby alorbach » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:26 pm

WinSyslog binds parameters in order to insert data. The problem might not be a language problem here, but more missing support for parameter based inserts of the ODBC Driver.

The reason we are using this method of inserting data into the database is, that it has been design for high performance.

An example from the Microsoft documentation:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library//ms711808.aspx

This is a usual insert:
Code: Select all
INSERT INTO Parts (PartID, Description, Price) VALUES (2100, 'Drive shaft', 50.00)

And this is an insert using parameters:
Code: Select all
INSERT INTO Parts (PartID, Description, Price) VALUES (?, ?, ?)

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby alorbach » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:28 pm

However if you can enable full debugoutput, and create a debug log and send it to support@adiscon.com, I might can tell more. There might be some more informations in the debug log.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby melwong » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:41 am

Thank you !!!..

I have resolve the issue. Its indeed on the ODBC driver, not SQLite itself.

I have tried parameter based inserts into SQLite tables and it works.

Therefore, it prompts me to use the next older version of the SQLite ODBC driver. And now it works perfectly.

Thanks so much. I can now use SQL query to search and sort our syslog data.

Btw, it will be good, if the winsyslog Interactive Syslog Server has search and sort features.

I fully recommend SQLite on Interactive Server. Since its free and can be part of winsyslog easily. Text file syslog is too slow, inefficient and huge.
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
melwong
New

Re: No records in db

Postby petersmith » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Great post,
You can get odbc driver from here: http://www.datadirect.com/products/odbc/index.html
petersmith
New

Google Ads

Return to WinSyslog