Can't install Loganalyzer

Everything which is related to the installation of phpLogCon.

Google Ads

Can't install Loganalyzer

Postby Baldur2630 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:13 pm

According to the documentation, Loganalyzer works with rsyslog, but for me it doesn't

I have installed a new CentOS 6.2 server, which installs rsyslog. I have never used rsyslog before, so it's a bit confusing. I'm trying to install Loganalyzer. I downloaded it today from your site and started the install. It went fine until step 7. At this point I get an error message : -

ERROR: Failed to open the syslog file '/var/log/syslog'! Check if the file exists and LogAnalyzer has sufficient rights to it

but I don't HAVE a /var/log/syslog anywhere on the system, nor do I find anything even remotely resembling a syslog!

I'm missing something here. Can someone please help?
Baldur2630
New

Urgent Question?

• Pulling out your Hair?
  • Wasting Time and Money?
  • Deadline Approaching?

Re: Can't install Loganalyzer

Postby rgerhards » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:16 pm

different distributions put log files with different names to different places. So the first thing you must find out is where the file is located and what its name is. /var/log should normally be the right directory, but maybe...
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby Baldur2630 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:22 pm

I've been running CentOS since v5.0 and it's always instaled syslog and the syslog file has always been in /var/log/syslog. I have searched the entire box and there is NO syslog that I can find, but rsyslog is running as a process (not sure how to even start and stop it!

It's a bit like learning to drive a caterpillar when you are used to a Mercedes automatic!!
Baldur2630
New

Postby alorbach » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:59 am

Can you post your rsyslog.conf? My guess is that their default log folder configuration is customized.

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to Installation