SyslogAppliance on VMWare ESXi

Questions around SyslogAppliance, the virtual logging appliance.

Google Ads

SyslogAppliance on VMWare ESXi

Postby zarthan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:28 pm

I am guessing that the hardware is the issue but the appliance will not import into ESXi. It might be helpful to set this up to support workstation 4 and on a scsi disk. Once imported the hardware can be upgraded through the client. It would make the server available to more potential testers.

While I am here another suggestion might be to install to a smaller disk or better yet use two disks. One disk for the OS and the second for log files.

Thanks for listening.

Zarthan
zarthan
New

Re: First Beta of SyslogAppliance Available

Postby rgerhards » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:54 am

Hi Zarthan,

thanks for the feedback and the suggestions. I will look at these :)

I have also uploaded a new version just today (one without your suggestions, because I created it yesterday), it may be worth a try.

Thanks again,
Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Re: SyslogAppliance on VMWare ESXi

Postby zarthan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Tried the new one. It will not convert either. The hardware needs to be version 4 so that will run on other versions of VMware. I don't think this would work for VMware Server 1.x either.
zarthan
New

Postby rgerhards » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:52 pm

Yes, I have worked on this today. I now know how to do it. I will rebuild a completely new appliance, will probably take until Monday for it to become available.

Thanks again,
Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby rgerhards » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:28 am

Well, it's Wednesday, but I finally managed to upload a new version. It is (should ;)) not just ESX server compatible, I have revamped the whole appliance building process and increased capabilities. For example, it now listens by default to TCP syslog.

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby zarthan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:17 pm

I am in the midst of loading SyslogAppliance server on ESXi. Since I am part way through I believe it is going to convert. A suggestion though. If you ran this though Vmware Converter (3.03) you can create a somewhat universal appliance. I becomes easy to import into Xen, MS server, VMware server (at least version 2) as well as ESX. Create an OVF virtual appliance. This creates a highly compressed disk file and what amounts to a description file. You could also post a link to the ovf (a tiny text file) file and people could import the appliance directly into Server 2, or ESX. An advantage to the OVF format is you can include License acceptance, description etc before the appliance is downloaded and installed.
zarthan
New

Postby rgerhards » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:07 pm

This sounds very interesting. I will at least give it a try :) I'd appreciate if you could also let me know if the SyslogAppliance now works for you and, if so, what you would improve (I've a couple of things on my own list already, but there is nothing more useful than feedback from someone else ;)).

Thanks,
Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby zarthan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:40 pm

Seems to start OK but I can't log in to the interface. phplogcon and syslog don't work. If they might be personal passwords don't worry I'll wait until the next one.

I went through an install on Centos using the 3.20 source and have a working copy writing to mysql on ESX. I'm going to do a new install tomorrow and see if I can get a smaller cleaner install.

Thanks
zarthan
New

Postby rgerhards » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:35 pm

There should be a README file inside the vmware directories (in the real machine). That contains the passwords...
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby zarthan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:21 am

That did the trick.

I'm going to keep working on my Centos version for now. I am also going to work on a really small appliance. Might need some help?

Thanks
zarthan
New

Postby caseytucker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:04 am

All,

Love the application and think its a great turn key solution. However I do Have a small problem with it. The Guest is setup for a 64GB drive, this is fine as the VMDX is only 1.7gb. However, when one uses VMware Converter to send this to a ESXI server it has to have 64Gb of space on the server for the drive. I know I should have more then 64GB free on my server but i don't.

My question is: is there anyway to get it installed on Vmware ESXI with less then 64gb of space on the datastore. I have gotten it to run perfectly on VMWARE fusion, however ESXI alocates the whole guest hard drive to the datastore. So even though the applicance is only using under 2gb of space on the "Virtual drive" its needs 64GB of space on the ESXI server.

Is there anyway a appliance could be made that isnt so big,or is there a way to shrink the drive down? When i try to shrink in VMWARE Converter it is unable to. 64GB is alot of space, a nice little one would be great!

Thanks for your help.
caseytucker
New

Postby rgerhards » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:00 pm

Sorry for the late reply. It has been *very* busy before the holidays and then I had a two week vacation :) I appreciate your feedback, especially on the disk size issue (which I was unaware about). I have done some tweaking today on the appliance, but not yet to the disk sizes. The new version (mainly setup issues) will be available tomorrow (if all goes well - I'll post to the new announcement list when it is ready). I'll look into splitting the data disk off from the "normal" disk, that should solve the issue. Than I ship a reasonably sized disk, but you could also simply create a different one with any size you need. If it works like I would like it to see, all you would need to do is create a special directory (or mount an empty disk?) and the rest will be done by the appliance. Maybe I'll do some iterations toward that goal.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, that's very helpful!

Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby cookieme » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi

I'm using ESX "i" 4 and I came across your syslog appliance. Does it work with ESXi 4?

Also, is this still being developed because last update I think was in January?

Thank you
cookieme
New

Postby mmeckelein » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:34 pm

cookieme wrote:I'm using ESX "i" 4 and I came across your syslog appliance. Does it work with ESXi 4?

Yes, it should work.

cookieme wrote:Also, is this still being developed because last update I think was in January?

Actually we will release the new final version this week.

Currently we are working on implementing an advanced configuration interface as well as some multiprocessor stuff. But it will takes some days until a new beta is available.
mmeckelein
Adiscon Support

Postby mmeckelein » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:24 am

@zarthan, may I ask you if you have already tried out SyslogAppliance 1.0 on your ESXi? Does it work? We have another user which run into trouble with 1.0 and ESXi, since I have no ESXi machine for testing I am currently not able to reproduce any errors.
mmeckelein
Adiscon Support

Google Ads

Return to SyslogAppliance