Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see https://www.adiscon.com/news/support-forum-set-to-read-only-mode/

Winsyslog Exception Errors

Support, Questions and Discussions on WinSyslog

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Winsyslog Exception Errors

Postby Matteo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:32 pm

Hello,

Starting yesterday my Winsyslog server started throwing exception errors. The exact errors are listed below.

Faulting application winsyslg.exe, version 8.1.0.453, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x0002a36b.

Faulting application winsyslg.exe, version 8.1.0.453, faulting module winsyslg.exe, version 8.1.0.453, fault address 0x00029250.

I upgraded to Winsyslog v8.2.461 in an attempt to resolve the issue and now I am getting ODBC errors. I exported and re-imported the config so the settings should be the same, and nothing has changed on my SQL server. The ODBC DSN tests successfully. The errors are listed below.

An ODBC Error occured in DB Monitor occured. Please check the select statement, table name and ID field in your configuration!

CMiscODBCHelper|ODBC Error 'SQLDriverConnect failed'
ODBC Error Code: '28000'
ODBC Error Description: '[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'VST\SYSLOG-1$'.'
See http://www.winsyslog.com/en/FAQ/odbc-error-codes.asp for more informations on ODBC Error codes

Error while applying an action - skipping action 'Write To Syslog'. Error is 'CActionODBCv2|doAction Failed to connect to database (main Connection), see debug log for more'.

Please advise what actions are necessary to resolve the issues with either version so I can return my server to a functioning state.
Matteo
New

Re: Winsyslog Exception Errors

Postby alorbach » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:09 am

Hi,

from the error description the SQL Server does not let you login for some reason. Please verify SystemDSN by using the ODBC Administrator. If the test succeeds, re-enter the Password in the ODBC Action configuration, then restart the WinSyslog Service.

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby teisyun » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi Andre,

I'm having same problem, and I know it's login to SQL server issue.
My question is that I've set DSN to use username "syslog" and password "syslog" for SQL login, why the program passes "domain\host$" as username to SQL?

Thanks,
teisyun
New

Postby alorbach » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi,

you have to set the username and password within the WinSyslog configuration, too. My guess is that the username is left empty, and thow the ODBC driver automatically uses the domain\machinename as username.

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby rgerhards » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 pm

As of my understanding, it depends on how the DSN is configured. If it is set to integrated authentication, you can supply whatever you want, sql server willl always use the windows account. That, of course, does not work with LocalSystem. However, if the DSN is set to SQL Server authentication, the credentials from the config dialog should be used - and never the Windows account. At least this is how it is supposed to work...

Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to WinSyslog