Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see https://www.adiscon.com/news/support-forum-set-to-read-only-mode/

Announcing librelp

Questions, Discussion, Feedback on librelp, the RELP protocol library. RELP provides relibale network event logging. librelp implements the protocol in an easy to use way. It is available both under GPLv3 as well as a commercial license.

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Announcing librelp

Postby rgerhards » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:46 pm

Librelp is being officially announced today. There is a web page with some information and the download available at

http://www.librelp.com

Please feel free to use this form with any questions, suggestions, feedback and whatever else you would like to share.

I hope librelp is useful.

Rainer Gerhards
rgerhards
Site Admin

Re: Announcing librelp

Postby snott » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:22 am

Interesting idea, it seems this is the new liblogging :D

I'm curious to know what limitations or shortcomings of RFC 3195 you're addressing with this new protocol?

I think I read something about a message size limit, but now I can't find it.

Is it simply because implementing a BEEP stack is too much work?
Was integrating an existing BEEP stack considered, such as Vortex Library?

Thanks,
Skye
snott
New

Postby rgerhards » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:49 am

I think this covers most: http://blog.gerhards.net/2008/03/relp-r ... tocol.html

The vortex library, in its early ages, was not a reasonable choice. liblogging was first. So if I would go the BEEP way, I'd stick with liblogging. However, why should I do that if nobody else does? After all, I have implemented 3195 some 4 (or 5?) years ago and nobody has ever cared ;) Great waste of time...

Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby rgerhards » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:51 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention: I *have* implemented a BEEP stack (liblogging), actually the first implementation on Windows and the first reasonable on *nix (SDSC syslog, now forgotten, was first on Unix). rsyslog supports sending (or was it receiving) messages via 3195... :)
rgerhards
Site Admin

Postby snott » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:33 pm

From that blog post you link, it sounds like the reason to discard 3195 was because "it carries a lot of overhead". Do you have any performance metrics comparing RELP and 3195 (as implemented by librelp and liblogging) to help me choose between the protocols? Performance is important to my application, but then again so is talking to the outside world, so its a toss up. Or are there other shortcomings to the 3195 spec?

It was my understanding as well that liblogging was not a full BEEP stack but rather a "bare bones" implementation to only support what was required for 3195.

Thanks,
Skye
snott
New

Postby rgerhards » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:35 pm

I don't have detailled stats unfortunately and am quite busy with other things right at this time, so I can not elaborate on the topic - sorry. The should be ample material in my blog, not just this posting.

liblogging is not a full BEEP stack, that's right (why should it? ;)). But after all, the "bare minimum" has turned out to be 90 to 95 percent of what BEEP is ;)

Rainer
rgerhards
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to librelp