Log Forwarding Stops due to Null Character(s)

Support, Questions and Discussions on MonitorWare Agent

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Log Forwarding Stops due to Null Character(s)

Postby mpearson » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:20 pm

We have a mission critical application at work with extensive logging capability. Because certain failure events can only be detected via this log, we would like to forward it to a centralized syslog server where we can parse it and generate alerts. In the process of testing, we found that certain messages cause log forwarding to stop. We've traced this to the fact that these messages are associated with data in fields that are longer than the data string itself. The additional spaces being populated with the Null character. This is a commercial application and the prospects of getting the log cleaned up are not encouraging. Is there a way to have MonitorWare either ignore the Null characters or rewrite them to something (e.g. a space or some other character) that won't result in the log forwarding stopping?

I'm unable to post the entire line but here's an example of the end of one that's causing the problem:

.......01534^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^>

Any help would be appreciated....Thanks
mpearson
New

Re: Log Forwarding Stops due to Null Character(s)

Postby alorbach » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi,

as a customer of MonitorWare Agent, I would recommend to use the email support we offer: support@adiscon.com.
These kind of problems can be handeled much better by email. Also include the exact Version of MonitorWare Agent which you are using, and the system it is running on. An export of your configuration would be helpful as well.

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby mpearson » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:55 pm

Andre,

I appreciate your response. I posted here because my employer is not a customer at the current time. I've used both EventReporter and MonitorWare at other companies with great success. I would like to deploy MonitorWare here for the purpose I described in my original post, but need to overcome the Null Character issue to make it viable for this application. I was hoping that someone on the forum might have some guidance on how to work through what we're experiencing. Please accept my apologies if I've posted here in error.

Thanks,

Mark
mpearson
New

Postby alorbach » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:08 pm

I understand ;). However please do so as I wrote, I will need the details in order to find a solution. From the first look I doubt this is a 0 byte issue, but a BUG. But to be certain I need to know which Version you are running, and which OS Version you are using.

--
best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby alorbach » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:01 am

In order to solve this topic, the next version of MonitorWare Agent (6.1) will have support for NULL Bytes. They will be automatically replaced with spaces internally. A rolling beta version is already available here:
mwagent-6-1-build-371rb-updated-2009-03-27-t8968.html

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to MonitorWare Agent