Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see

Hostname with forwarding

This is the place for you, if you got rsyslog up and running but wonder how to make it do what you want.

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Hostname with forwarding

Postby Caro1906 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:03 am

I have a rsyslog server (vm-1) and kiwi syslog server. My equipments send informations to my rsyslog server, after i make forwarding to my kiwi syslog server.
The forwarding is "ok" but the hostname is the name to my rsyslog server "vm-1". Can we have the name of the original equipment in rsyslog server?

Thank you

Urgent Question?

• Pulling out your Hair?
  • Wasting Time and Money?
  • Deadline Approaching?

Re: Hostname with forwarding

Postby uppsalanet » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:29 pm

Try use a template for ffwd using %FROMHOST%:
Code: Select all
template (name="fwdCSIRT" type="string" string="<%PRI%>%TIMESTAMP:::date-rfc3339% %FROMHOST% %syslogtag:1:32%%msg:::sp-if-no-1st-sp%%msg%")

Or use from sendig part:
#Rsyslog uses the glibc routine gethostname() or gethostbyname() to determine the hostname
#of the local machine The gethostname() or gethostbyname() routine check the contents of
#/etc/hosts for the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) if you are not using BIND or NIS.
#The output of hostname --short will be used by rsyslog when writing log messages. You will
#have to add $PreserveFQDN on to the beginning of the file (before using any directive that
#write to files). This is because, rsyslog reads config file and applies it on-the-go and
#then reads the later lines.
Code: Select all
$PreserveFQDN on

Re: Hostname with forwarding

Postby PCnetMD » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Did this get resolved?
If so, can you share what you did?
Thank you.

Google Ads

Return to Configuration