event processing - source: mail - what to do?

Support, Questions and Discussions on MonitorWare Agent

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

event processing - source: mail - what to do?

Postby d-AM » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:48 am

MonitorWare allows event processing based on a long list of events - but unfortunately there is still one source missing:

emails
We have several devices (e.g. RAID-Controller, enviromental probes etc.) which do not support sending events via SYSLOG or SNMP - but they do support sending emails.

So, any idea how to get mails into MonitorWare (or WinSysLog) to be able to process them based on frequency, content etc. (like any other event)?

Sure - we could store them e.g. on a Cyrus IMAP server and process them via SIEVE - but in some environments it could be helpfull to use one tool for all event processing - like MonitorWare.

Hints / suggestions are welcome.

Cheers
d-AM
d-AM
New

Re: event processing - source: mail - what to do?

Postby alorbach » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:14 am

hi d-AM,

actually I have good news for you, MonitorWare Agent does has a Service called "SMTP Listener" which can be used to receive Emails and process them like Windows Events within the Agent. Unfortunately there are no FAQ's or Artciles about this Service, not to be confused with the SMTP Probe Service.

If you need further help setting up this SMTP Listener Service, please let me know.

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby d-AM » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:13 am

Hi Andre,

yes, please!

I reviewed your feature list and read your online manuals before posting, but did not find any details about the SMTP Listerner. So, input about the would be appreciated!

Some questions:
1. If we would use the SMTP Listener, we had to make sure that the emails had to be transmitted to MonitorwareAgent, right? Hmmm ... we could forward the emails based on source mail adresse ...
2. MonitorwareAgent would drop the mail after processing (if we won't log them), right?
3. How many parallel SMTP connections will be processed by the SMTP Listener of MonitorwareAgent? Hard limits? Configurable Limits?

Thanks!
d-AM
d-AM
New

Postby alorbach » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 am

I will have the manual checked, the description is indeed very short.

Regarding your questions:
1. Yes, the emails need to be send to MW Agent.
2. Also right, the Agent implements only a very basic SMTP Server, but sufficient to receive Emails.
3. There is no limit set by us, so the Agent can receive as many emails as the system allowed socket connections.
However due my expirience, I would say up to 5000 Emails per Minute. Otherwise the system may start giving us Out of Sockets error's.

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to MonitorWare Agent