Error Writing Log Files

Support, Questions and Discussions on WinSyslog

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Error Writing Log Files

Postby jdrizzle » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:38 pm

I am currently conducting a POC of WinSyslog to replace our current syslog-ng environment. I am experiencing an issue were WinSyslog is unable to roll log files. I see the following error in the application log:

Message=Error while applying an action - skipping action 'File Logging'. Error is 'CActionConfigWriteFile| Could not create or open File - Error: 5.'.

We are using a Splunk Universal Forwarder to monitor the files being created by WinSyslog to feed into Splunk for viewing. Any assistance with this issue would be appreciated. We need to resolve this issue in order to be able to purchase the enterprise license.

Thanks
jdrizzle
New

Re: Error Writing Log Files

Postby jdrizzle » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:55 pm

OK, so I disabled the Splunk Universal Forwarder service to see if this would correct the issue, but it has not. I have WinSyslog set up to use circular logging and to keep 2 log files. If I am viewing a directory with file explorer, I see log file 2 increase in size a little, then drop back to 0, then increase a little, then drop back to 0. This is only after it has tried to roll the file. If I delete all files in the directory for that specific host, it will begin writing files to log 2 then jump back to writing to log 1 without issue. I am wondering if there is a bug with WinSyslog, or if circular logging is not best practice and we should use normal logging and a separate utility to manage old logs. I am running this on a VM with 2 vCPU's. No resource issues to note at this point.

Thanks
jdrizzle
New

Google Ads

Return to WinSyslog