Email alerts for link flapping

Support, Questions and Discussions on WinSyslog

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Email alerts for link flapping

Postby mschlegel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Howdy,

I am trying to fashion a set of filters in WinSyslog 7.3 to send email alerts in the event of individual links going up and down on our switches. The log messages from the switches look like:

.Aug 31 15:37:55 CDT: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface TenGigabitEthernet1/2, changed state to down
.Aug 31 15:37:55 CDT: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface TenGigabitEthernet1/2, changed state to down
.Aug 31 15:37:56 CDT: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface TenGigabitEthernet1/2, changed state to up
.Aug 31 15:37:56 CDT: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface TenGigabitEthernet1/2, changed state to up

Ideally we want to use the 'Fire only if Event occurs x times in y seconds' and/or 'Minimum Wait Time' to throttle these messages, however, I'm not sure how to structure the rules so that a down message for Ten1/2 is not lumped in with Gig8/4 for those message counts.

Can I get some suggestions on how we may be able to go about setting up filters in this manner?

Thank you
mschlegel
New

Re: Email alerts for link flapping

Postby alorbach » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi,

have you checked how the %syslogtag% property is filled for these messages? You proberly can use the "Fire only if Event..." Option based on the Syslogtag property (See Global Conditions relative .... Option). Which means the Rule itself would hole counters based on the syslog property, this might be already what you need.

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to WinSyslog