Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see https://www.adiscon.com/news/support-forum-set-to-read-only-mode/

Dedicated email server for automatic subscription

Support, Questions and Discussions on NewsMerge

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Dedicated email server for automatic subscription

Postby Douglas Hill » Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:53 am

Is it possible to enable a different dedicated email server address for each newsletter?

At present I am faced with the neccessity to have automatic subscriptions forwarded from a separate dedicated address, in order to have that club's address show up in the process.

Douglas Hill
Douglas Hill

Postby alorbach » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:06 pm

Hi,

this is not possible, you an only configure one SMTP Server.
And you can also only configure one base Sender-emailaddress.

But what you can do is overridding the Sender-emailaddress when sending out an Issue.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Douglas Hill » Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:13 pm

Sorry: I am not making myself clear. I am asking if you can add a new feature to the program, allowing a user to use more than one dedicated Pop 3 account.

The ability to specify different return addresses for each newsletter would also be useful.
Douglas Hill

Postby alorbach » Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:57 pm

The Idea of having different return email addresses for each newsletter is a good one.

But having multiple pop3 mailboxes makes not that sense it my opinion.
Maybe you can explain me, which advantages you would have? ;)
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Douglas Hill » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:28 pm

The advantage of being able to specify a distinct Pop3 address for each newsletter is that each newsletter has the appearance of being distinct from the other.

For example, I am writing a newsletter for a Seniors' organization and for a community theatre group. The theatre group wants a dedicated address on its server email address, but I am already using my own dedicated address for the seniors' newsletter.

I suppose most people would not notice that the Theatre club subscription database is being built through the seniors' server. But the theatre club administrator, also a volunteer, wants to use their web address as the subscription address. At present, the only solution is to automatically forward the emails through his dedicated address.
Douglas Hill

Postby alorbach » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:57 pm

Hi,

ok understood. What System are you using at the moment?
If it is Windows XP, I have a workaround for you which works at the moment.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Douglas Hill » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:58 pm

Great! I am using Windows XP Home
Douglas Hill

Postby alorbach » Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:07 pm

Ok, first of all fyi, NewsMerge stores configuration variables on a per User basis. This contains POP3 Settings, and also the database settings for example.

No if you create another User on your machine, and log on with this user, you can use completely different settings like different POP3 Servers etc.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Douglas Hill » Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:18 pm

Thank you. I shall try that, and let you know .
Douglas Hill

Postby Douglas Hill » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:40 am

I have set up a new user, but cannot access NewsMerge using that account.

1. It does not appear in the list of programs.
2. It will not start from the NewsMerge.exe file either.
3. It still runs in the original account.
4. It does not matter whether I log off the original account or not before I load the new account.

I was wondering if I should try running NewsMerge in a Win 98 environment in the second account -- or will that create problems in the original account?
Douglas Hill

Postby alorbach » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:23 am

Do you remember if you installed it for All users, or for "me only" during the installation of NewsMerge?

Regarding Windows 9x, do the limitations of the multi-user environment of Windows9x (If it can be called like this), it might not work.
But I am not sure, you can even give it a try.

However, it should be run under a different user on Windows XP, at least this was tested during the NewsMerge development. Do you get any error's if you open it in the new user account?
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Douglas Hill » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:02 pm

I am using Win XP Home edition. When I use the secondary login that I created for this task, NewsMerge does not show up in the list of Programs, and when I try to use it from the NewsMerge.exe file in Windows Explorer, I get an error tone and nothing happens.

I think the significant thing is that it is not listed in the list of Programs in the "Start" menus.

As far as I know, there was no reason, when I installed NewsMerge, to limit users to just me, as I am the only one using this computer. It is a stand-alone, running on a Celeron 1.2 GHz chip, with 512 Mg Ram.

Back to you. :wink:
Douglas Hill

Postby alorbach » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:07 am

Regarding the Startmenu thing, that's not the problem I think here ;). The startmenu just has some shortcuts.

Well however, so you get a simply beep when trying to start NewsMerge from a different user, right?

It's strange :shock:

The new user you created, is it a limited user or an administrative user?
If it is a limited user, please try to change to an administrative one.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Douglas Hill » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:38 pm

The new user has always been an administrator. Maybe I should reinstall to make absolutely certain that I did not limit the program to one user. I shall try that.
Douglas Hill

Postby alorbach » Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:48 pm

Yes. Just reinstall under the new user - or maybe a repair install (Depends on what the installer says). Your database will be saved, so you can safely do this.
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Next

Return to NewsMerge