CREATOR OWNER account for win XP

Discuss Windows Event Log events. What they mean, what they tell you about your machine's security ... and whatever questions else you have.

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

CREATOR OWNER account for win XP

Postby Fieno11 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:50 pm

I have tried adding the CREATOR OWNER account to a shared folder i have on my C Drive. In order for people to go ahead and create their own folder and not worry about others accessing them. After i added the CREATOR OWNER account in the security of the shared folder, I tried to set the permissions for CREATOR OWNER to Full. But everytime i click apply, it all resets back to nothing. It removes all the checkmarks in the boxes. If anyone has information regarding this issuse in WINDOWS XP not WINDOWS 2000. Please relpy to this message with a fix.

Thank you
:shock:
Fieno11

Postby alorbach » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:43 am

An easy question (just to make sure), but are you using the NTFS FileSystem on your harddisk?
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby alorbach » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:41 am

Have you tried to set permissions for other user accounts to full on that folder? Or to give the CREATOR OWNER Full Access on another test folder?
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Fieno11 » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:15 pm

All of the other permissions work fine on the folder. Administrator, Users, you name it. Everything seems to work except for the CREATOR OWNER. I did try to give CREATOR OWNER full rights to different folders, yet, it just does the same thing. When i click apply all of the checkmarks disapear. I was reading on Microsoft website about how the CREATOR OWNER is automatically configured. But that doesn't make sense to me.
Fieno11

Postby alorbach » Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:11 am

Sounds still very strange. Have you tried deleting / recreating the user account?
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby wraxus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:36 pm

I have the same problem.

I have full control over the folder to do as I please, and asked our Admin about the disappearing privileges under CREATOR OWNER, we tried granting all sorts of privileges under the Special Permissions portion, but it still does not give simple read access to the folder (i.e., a file owned by someone else might be unreadable).
wraxus
New

Postby heretohelp008 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:49 pm

this is because your permissions are set to "inherit from parent object"...hit "advanced" and uncheck "inherit from parent the permission...yadda yadda yadda"...click "copy" to save all permissions that were inherited...then modify as required
heretohelp008
New

Postby wraxus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'm still not getting the result I need though...

What I would like is for user "A" to have ONLY write access to "\\share_name\", and when user "A" creates folder "\\share_name\Temp\", they have read and write access to that folder.

Under user "A", through javascript, I can successfully write the file to that folder, but I still can't open the file using a window.open("\\share_name\Temp\filename.txt") statement.

Once I manually grant user "A" read access to that folder, then it works fine.

Thanks
wraxus
New

Creator Owner

Postby Donald.Dixon » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:34 am

All of the other permissions work fine on the folder. Administrator, Users, you name it. Everything seems to work except for the CREATOR OWNER. I did try to give CREATOR OWNER full rights to different folders, yet, it just does the same thing. When i click apply all of the checkmarks disapear. I was reading on Microsoft website about how the CREATOR OWNER is automatically configured. But that doesn't make sense to me.

When you uses Creator Owner in NTSF and you assign it rights with the add button under the Security Tap.
What the systems does it set CREATOR OWNER group
under Advanced Security Settings to
Subfolers and Files only
the This Folder only option gets removed and the users account gets plugged into the current level you are assigning rights to
meaning that the owner of the folder you are assigning this to gets added to the security list with the above rights as a user with not inherited rights but set for This folder only.
You should beable to view this settings if you click on the advance setting button.
I hope this helps
Donald.Dixon
New

Google Ads

Return to Windows Events