Console Database Connection Issues with SQL 2000 DSN

Support, Questions and Discussions on MonitorWare Console

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads


Console Database Connection Issues with SQL 2000 DSN

Postby schmidman » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:14 pm

I reinstalled my machine with Windows XP Pro SP1. Previous to this, MonitorWare console was connecting successfully to the SQL 2000 database server. After the resinstall of my operating system and MonitorWare Console, I am unable to connect. When I log in, I get:

Error, could not connect to the database. Please verify your Data Connection Settings


I have tried the following:

    Created a User DSN
    Created a System DSN
    Double-checked and tested DSN configurations
    Successfully imported the User table with UserID and Password information to verify I am entering the correct login information.

There are no entries in the event log.
schmidman
Avarage
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:50 pm

Postby alorbach » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:25 pm

Hi,

are there any error's in the details displayed?
Which version is right now installed (mwconsole.exe | right click in explorer -> file properties).
alorbach
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1627
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:55 am

Postby schmidman » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:37 pm

I was running 1.0 earlier today. I downloaded 1.1.1364.29425 from the site and installed the most current version. After the upgrade, the message box now says:

Either you are connecting to a database that is not MonitorWare Database or you don't have sufficient permissions. If the database is correct, then consult your administrator for permissions.


I doubt it is permissions, as nothing has changed on the SQL server. I also tried using the sa SQL account with the DSN setting. Only my workstation and client has changed. Any way for me to generate a debug log I can post here?
schmidman
Avarage
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:50 pm

Postby wrehman » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:38 am

Hello,

This message box is displayed only under the conditions described in the message. Just to confirm, please do the following.

1.Create a DSN that points to MonitorWare Database (it should have *at least* SystemEvents Table) with Windows Authentication.

2. Start MonitorWare Console.

3. At the bottom right, you would see a link that says "Edit Database Connection".

4. Enter the name of the DSN that you created in Step 1.

5. Press Ok, you will come back to the main dialog. Press OK again. It should work

Although I have mentioned these things above but i would like to once again stress on two things.

1. The DSN should point to MonitorWare database.
2. The database *should* have at least the SystemEvents table. If you want to create a new database, then please create a new table called "SystemEvents" in it with only one column called "ID" which should be an int and set to autoincrement. You dont need to import any other tables (not even the user table). The new version (that you are now using) automatcially creates all tables and fills them with required data.

I am very positive, that it will solve your problem, but still if the problem persists after carefullly following the above mentinoed steps, dont hesitate to contact us. We will look into this issue.

Regards
Wajih-ur-Rehman
Adiscon
wrehman
Adiscon Support
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:30 am

Postby schmidman » Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:56 pm

The answer to my issue was found in Step 1 of your post:
1.Create a DSN that points to MonitorWare Database (it should have *at least* SystemEvents Table) with Windows Authentication.

Previously, I was using SQL authentication. Once I switched my DSN to use Windows Authentication I was able to connect.
schmidman
Avarage
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:50 pm

Google Ads



Return to MonitorWare Console

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron