Connect Email Error

Support, Questions and Discussions on NewsMerge

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Connect Email Error

Postby jawmartin » Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:57 pm

I am trying out the 30 day version of NewsMerge and am having trouble connecting to my POP3 email. I am able to connect and receive emails through an Outlook Express account but I have to specify that to access email I must authenticate to the server as well as the email program. I am getting the following error when I try to check this same email account through News merge:

Connecting to mailserver1.livingwellness.info...
Connected
Logging In as accounts@livingwellness.info...
Error Socketerror, no connecting: 8
Processing Messages
An error occured - See the EventLog

There are no entries in the EventLog.

Any clues what I can do to allow me to access my email through NewsMerge?

Thanks Ja Martin
jawmartin

Postby alorbach » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:34 am

Hi,

from the error message, I would say that the Pop3Server name might be wrong (It says that there is no connection).
Please verify this in your POP3 Options.

Also verify if your ISP uses the standard Port 110. Maybe the ISP needs a different port.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby alorbach » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:38 am

One thing I forget to mention, I see that you use mailserver1.livingwellness.info as POP3 Server. Is this really the right POP3Server?

Do you get this error every time? Do you have any kind of Firewall Software installed?
alorbach
Site Admin

POP3 connection

Postby jawmartin » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:30 am

I agree. It seems I am not connecting to the server.

I did verify that my hosting provider uses port 110 for connection to the email server. I do use a firewall on my local server but have check the configuration and the log files. I am processing the login transaction through the firewall to this port at this IP adress.

Yes, that is the correct POP3 server name. I have a hosted website with my own domain (livingwellness.info) and that is the mail server name for this hosted account.

I do get this error every time I try to connect to this mail server with NewsMerge. I had a similar problem when I was configuring my Outlook Express accounts to connect to the various email accounts I have on this server. The problem was that I had configured the username and password for the mail server connection but I had not specified that I had to actually log into the physical server on which the mailserver program was loaded. Outlook Express recognizes that there are 2 levels of security involved and provides an option to log into the server (with the same username and password or another of your selection) before logging into the mail server. I simply clicked the login to the server option and defined the correct username and password and the problem was resolved.

Hope this helps in helping me resolve this issue. I really like the potential of the product and would be interested in purchasing it if we can get it to work.

Thanks,
Ja Martin
jawmartin

Postby alorbach » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:50 pm

Hi,

there is a SMTP Authentication support in NewsMerge.

Have you activated the two options "Use SMTP Authentication" and "Use Username and Password from POP3" in your Publish Options?
alorbach
Site Admin

POP3 Connection

Postby jawmartin » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:34 am

These options are both on the Publish Page not on the POP3 Page but, yes, I do have both of those boxes checked.

Thanks, Ja Martin
jawmartin

Postby alorbach » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:51 am

Hi,

yes they are on the Publish Tab (as I wrote ;) ). The it should work.
Does POP3 Mailchecking even work?
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby alorbach » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:58 am

One thing I have to mention, It seems like that the POP3 did not authenticate you successfully - please verify the username and password for your account. There might be a typo ;).
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to NewsMerge