Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see https://www.adiscon.com/news/support-forum-set-to-read-only-mode/

configuring e-mail alert

Support, Questions and Discussions on WinSyslog

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

configuring e-mail alert

Postby AlexK » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:40 pm

I am working on product evaluation for winsyslog version 9.2.

I have some difficulties to setup an e-mail alert in syslog serverversion 9.2. For example, if a hard drive failure occurs on client machine server A. I installed event reporter in server A. and configured to write to the file to syslog server B. So I want to recieve e-mail alert in hardware failure occurs on the server A from syslog server B.
You only have video for common scenario how to configure Winsyslog 4.2 for email alerting and file logging. I have difficulty to understand how to configure e-mail alert with version 9.2.

Please let me know if you have online seminar for version 9.2 or a step by step procedure

Thanks a lot
AlexK
New

Re: configuring e-mail alert

Postby alorbach » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:55 am

We have some articles regarding how to setup filters in our products, they also include Email Actions:
http://www.monitorware.com/common/en/st ... -er-ws.php

We also have an article which explains how to setup email alerts if a software raid fails, this might help you configuring your configuration:
http://www.monitorware.com/common/en/ar ... s_2003.php

These articles are MonitorWare Agent related, but the configuration interface is the same in WinSyslog and EventReporter.

best regards,
Andre Lorbach
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby AlexK » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:29 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. Below is more detail about what I am trying to accomplish

Thank you very much for your reply.
A have a question about which product should I purchase.

I am evaluating winsyslog server. I installed it on windows Xp pc.
2 listeners been created. The log for monitored devices are stored separetly in the default directory. The logs rotated daily.
One of the devices CLN 20 device from Coraid.The syslog entries from the coraid blade system are forwarded thru the CLN20 deviceto WINSYSLOG PC.The purpose is to provide system monitoring and alerts for the blade system. Second is Juniper firewall. Reporting need to be setup for the devices being monitoring.

Questions
Can winsyslog be configured to parse the syslog message for alerts
can email be sent based on these alerts
If it need it , what additional tools do I need to use to parse the syslog entries.
I have read about about your Monitorware Line of product. I am still not sure what do I need to use for questions above.

Thank you very much

Please let me know.
AlexK
New

Postby AlexK » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:19 pm

Hello! Could anybody get back to me with the answers or suggestions on my previous questions?

Thanks
AlexK
New

Postby mmeckelein » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:40 pm

Hello Alex, WinSyslog is the right product for this purpose. Andre has already mentioned
http://www.monitorware.com/common/en/st ... -er-ws.php
which describe how to use filter and send email alerts.

AlexK wrote:Can winsyslog be configured to parse the syslog message for alerts
can email be sent based on these alerts

Yes, it can. Configure a Forward via Email action (Send Email, see in the guide mentioned above "Step 2 – Create a Rule Set for Email Alert Generation and File Logging") and set filters. In the filters you can parse the message text or other properties of the syslog message.

AlexK wrote:If it need it , what additional tools do I need to use to parse the syslog entries.

No additonal tools are needed. The filter options provide a wide variety of parse options.

AlexK wrote:I have read about about your Monitorware Line of product. I am still not sure what do I need to use for questions above.

From your description, WinSyslog is the right tool. WinSyslog is able to receive syslog message, parse them and do actions like email alerts, file logging and so on. A good article which explain the different in Monitorware Line products is http://www.monitorware.com/common/en/fa ... rchase.php

I hope this help. If you have further question, please do not hesitate to ask.
mmeckelein
Adiscon Support

Postby AlexK » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.
Could you tell me please. What product should I use if reporting need to be setup for the devices being monitoring.
Can I use winsyslog , or I need to use separate software for this?

Alex.
AlexK
New

Postby mmeckelein » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:58 pm

Alex,

WinSyslog is no reporting software. However simple reports http://monilog.adiscon.com/en/product/ can be used. It works quite well since years with WinSyslogs.

Cheers,
Michael
mmeckelein
Adiscon Support

Postby AlexK » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Michael, thank you for your reply. Could you tell me please do I need to install monilog software to every computer I need to get the report from, or only to the PC where I have winsyslog installed.

Thank you
Alex
AlexK
New

Postby mmeckelein » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:14 am

Since the MoniLog reports are based on the log file from WinSyslog, it is sufficient if you install MoniLog on your WinSyslog machine.
mmeckelein
Adiscon Support

Postby AlexK » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi, I am trying to install MoniLog on my WinSyslog machine. When I tried to and analyze it , I received information below

Event Logs Summary - 2009/08/27 13:28 - 2009/08/28 13:28
Logs location: 42906 MB free

Summary:
Total events 0
Information 0
Errors 0
Warnings 0
Failure Audit 0
Audit Success 0
Non Windows 0
Matching Include Criteria 0

Excluded Event ID - Keyword:

Computers:

The logs for the selected time interval do not exist. Check the following:
- the configured logs location (C:\temp) is correct
- the account used to run MoniLog has full rights to the logs location
- the logs' prefix (WinSyslog) is correct and there are files in the logs location for the selected date

Please let me know what can be done to resolve this problem. I don’t think this is normal output for reporting

Thank you very much for all your help.

Alex
AlexK
New

Google Ads

Return to WinSyslog