ADO error message when checking mail

Support, Questions and Discussions on NewsMerge

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

ADO error message when checking mail

Postby youthnetwork » Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:54 pm

I am receiving the following message when I use mail check:
ADO Error No - 2147217900 invalid pattern string. Mail check shuts down and does not process any further. Do you know that this is?
youthnetwork

Postby alorbach » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:11 am

Hi,

there seems to be an email causing this problem. Properly a wrong formatted one.

Please go into the POP3 Message Archiv, and take a look to the newest email (double click the entry). Set it's property Processed to true, andf try the POP3 Check again.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:43 pm

I am also getting this same error now, when I do the mail check. It says:

ADO Error number: -2147217900
Invalid Pattern String

It said I had 12 email subscriptions, and it only downloads the first one. I tried marking it "true" as you mentioned above, but it still doesn't work. The only way I could solve the problem, was to log into my emailbox seperately using Outlook Express, and manually enter all 12 subscribers.

~Mark
Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:51 pm

Here's an update to the message I just posted above a couple minutes ago. When I downloaded the emails manually in outlook express (since NewsMerge was getting stuck on them, and wouldn't allow me to)... I noticed what was causing the error. One of the people, when signing up for the newsletter, entered their email address, and for their first and last name, put in "N/A" for both fields. This is what caused NewsMerge to get stuck. For some reason, NewsMerge could not handle a first or last name as N/A. Maybe this is something you could fix for a future release, so it doesn't get hung there next time.

You might also want to allow it to at least download the remaining emails (which did not cause it to hang). Since this was the 2nd email of 12, it only downloaded the first email, and since it got hung on this 2nd one, it didn't download any of the remaining 10 additional emails.

~Mark
Mark

Postby alorbach » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:09 am

Hi,

thanks for the bug report. I will foward it to development.
Regarding the email processing, in order to avoid such "problem" emails, you can set its Processed Flag as processed in teh Message Archive View.
Then NewsMerge will continue looking over teh other emails.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:22 pm

Hi,

I did try setting it to "processed=true" as you suggested, but it would then only download that same one email again, and get caught on the 2nd like before. If I then marked this duplicate as processed as well, it does the same thing, and downloads yet another duplicate of that same email and still gets stuck on the 2nd. Kind of in a never-ending loop. The only way I could get through, was to manually download the emails from outlook express. This then allowed NewsMerge to download any new emails which came in after that time.

~Mark
Mark

Postby alorbach » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:32 pm

Ok, then the error happens while the email is entered into the database.
I will try to reproduce it here.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:26 am

Hello,

I was wondering if there was any progress on this ADO error during Mail Check. It is really causing me a problem, as it happens almost every day now while its downloading my new subscribers. It's creating a real problem, as I then have to manually download the subscribers using outlook, figure out which ones were and were not d/l with newsmerge (since the error usually happens about halfway through the list of emails), manually enter those remaining subscribers, and send them out manual "subscription" emails.

The last time it happened, I thought it was due to the subscriber putting in "N/A" as the names... but these emails were all proper. I couldn't find anything wrong with any of them.

Please let me know what you have discovered. Thanks! :)
~Mark
Mark

Postby alorbach » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:18 am

Hi,

no luck reproducing the error :(

Well what you can try in the meantime is to update your Database components. See the following download links:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

What also would be helpful if you would send us one / two of this emails to support@adiscon.com. Important is that they stay original. Best Idea is to save them in OutLook Express as *.eml file and send them as attachments to us.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:12 pm

I went to that link, and it didn't show my OS as supported for this update. I am running Win XP (with SP1). The site says:

No installation support for the stand-alone release is offered for the Windows XP platform because this same version of MDAC ships as part of Windows XP. Service packs of MDAC for Windows XP should be obtained through OS Service Pack releases.

It says the same version is already on my system with WinXP. I will try to email you an email which causes the problem. But I have a bit of new information. I went and "resent" one of the emails which caused the ADO error in Newsmerge to my newsletter account, and the second time around, Newsmerge did NOT give the ADO error... even though it was exactly the same as the first one which did give the error. I found this very odd. I'll post more here if I discover anything new.

Thanks again,
~Mark
Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:51 pm

See my post right before this one for my latest info. But here is a picture of the error I just received now when I tried to do a Mail Check. Not sure if the picture can help you or not, but at least you can see what's happening:

~Mark
Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:50 am

Hi again,

I'm still getting this error on an almost daily basis. It's making it very hard to use the software. I have tried to narrow down what's causing it, without luck.

When I get the ADO error in newsmerge, I then have to download the emails manually into outlook express. Then, to see if I get the same error, I resend this email again to my newsletter email address. When I do this, it will sometimes take it and NOT give an ADO error. But other times, it will give me the ADO error again. I then resend the EXACT same email again, and newsmerge sometimes accepts it without error. This would mean the error is NOT occuring from something IN the email, per say. Somehow the error is occuring with what has been downloaded before it (I think). The reason I think this, is because (so far), I have never gotten the error when newsmerge only downloads a single email. When it downloads several emails at a time, this is the only time the error seems to occur. Even when I re-email these manually to my newsletter email address, if I do them singally, and have newsmerge download and process them one at a time, there's no errors. But, if I resend several emails at the same time, where newsmerge has to handle a batch of them during the mail check, this is when the ADO error occurs.

I really don't know what else to try. Please let me know if you have any more information or ideas. Other than this problem, I really enjoy your software! I want to be able to continue using it (especially now that I have paid for it). I don't mind having to process a few emails here or there, but as I said earlier, this is becoming an everyday occurance for me. :(

I wonder if I should uninstall, and reinstall the software? Is there a chance my database became corrupt? If so, is there a dbrepair type tool for it? I'm willing to try any/all these ideas to try and solve this problem.

Thank you again for your time.
Mark

Postby alorbach » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:07 am

Hi,

could you send me your NewsMerge database directly to al@adiscon.com?
So I am sure there are still a lot of emails in the NewsMerge database which I can use to erproduce the problem and to find a solution for the problem.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:00 pm

Sending email now with the database compressed as a zip file.
Mark

Postby alorbach » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:08 am

Hi,

thanks for the email. I was able to fix the problem.
As I thought there were some special characters in the email header which caused the problem.

I added a workaround for it and send you a new Version of NewsMerge.
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Next

Return to NewsMerge