ActionExecOnlyOnceEveryInterval - Documentation not helpful

This is the place for developers to discuss bugs, new features and everything else about code changes.

Google Ads

ActionExecOnlyOnceEveryInterval - Documentation not helpful

Postby tdoll » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi,

i'm pretty new to rsyslogd and i have the task to setup a centralized syslog-solution for ~ 200.000 Devices for different customers.
The first step will be a setup with rsyslogd, many udp-inputs in different rulesets straightforward into different dynamic logfiles.

To get some "external action" into the rulesets, i have tried to start a shellscript, which should only start 60 seconds after the last run:

Code: Select all
$Ruleset udp5140
*.* ?dynamiclogfiletemplate5140
$ActionExecOnlyOnceEveryInterval 60
& ^anyscript;scripttemplate5140
& ~
$InputUDPServerBindRuleset udp5140
$UDPServerRun 5140

With $ActionExecOnlyOnceEveryInterval 60 the anyscript ist only started 60 seconds after the last run for particular messages - nice :)

But what will happen then to my dynamiclogfile5140 and all my other logfiles in other rulesets ? - right: all actions and outputs are only repeated after 60 seconds in the best case - ... which is not really useful to me :(

So i found nothing helpful in the documentation and google'd around ...
Some users are using $ActionExecOnlyOnceEveryInterval 1 - which seems also to "throttle" all actions to max. 1 time per second - probably not what they really want and maybe hard to find later :x

After some Time i found out, that $ActionExecOnlyOnceEveryInterval 0 does the trick :D
so:

Code: Select all
$Ruleset udp5140
*.* ?dynamiclogfiletemplate5140
$ActionExecOnlyOnceEveryInterval 60
& ^anyscript;scripttemplate5140
$ActionExecOnlyOnceEveryInterval 0
& ~
$InputUDPServerBindRuleset udp5140
$UDPServerRun 5140

... seems to work for me in all rulesets as expected (v6.2.0 / v6.3.8 ).

It would be helpful, if the $ActionExecOnlyOnceEveryInterval 0 would/could be added to the documentation ...

Greetings from Cologne
Thomas
tdoll
New

Urgent Question?

• Pulling out your Hair?
  • Wasting Time and Money?
  • Deadline Approaching?

Google Ads

Return to Developer's Corner