Information: Forum is in read-only mode
For details and other support options see https://www.adiscon.com/news/support-forum-set-to-read-only-mode/

10106 The requested service provider could not be loaded or

Discuss Windows Event Log events. What they mean, what they tell you about your machine's security ... and whatever questions else you have.

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

Postby NS » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:38 am

10106 The requested service provider could not be loaded or initialized. WSAEPROVIDERFAILEDINIT

I get this when I try and telnet to my ADSL router from my XP box.
A Windows 2000 laptop is fine. I can ping the router if I manually set the pc address but telnet fails and DHCP no longer works on the pc ( was fine ) while the 2000 box is ok.
NS

Postby alorbach » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:46 am

Hi,

if DHCP fails on your PC, you will not get a valid IP address for your local network, so telnet cannot work.

Try to configure the IP manually and then PING your router again.
If this works, it is just an issue related to the dhcp server of the router.

In this case contact the router vendor or leave the IP configured manually ;)
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby NS » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:27 pm

alorbach wrote:Hi,

if DHCP fails on your PC, you will not get a valid IP address for your local network, so telnet cannot work.

Try to configure the IP manually and then PING your router again.
If this works, it is just an issue related to the dhcp server of the router.

In this case contact the router vendor or leave the IP configured manually ;)

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Telnet doesn't work from my pc with a manually configured IP address in the same subnet either - only ping does. It's not a router problem as another pc works fine with DHCP ( 4 port router ). The problem is definitely with my XP box. The error message seems to suggest that my pc is having problems getting telnet to work ( http fails too )
NS

Postby alorbach » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:37 pm

Hi,

ok ping works but rest not?
That is pretty strange.

Do you have any special kind of Fierwall software installed on that XP Box? Some AntiVirus Scanners install Firewall Software without asking user by default.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:05 pm

alorbach wrote:Hi,

ok ping works but rest not?
That is pretty strange.

Do you have any special kind of Fierwall software installed on that XP Box? Some AntiVirus Scanners install Firewall Software without asking user by default.

I disabled the McAfee Firewall and checked that the XP one was not enabled

Postby alorbach » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:12 pm

What do the commands "ipconfig /all" and "route print" show you?
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:23 pm

alorbach wrote:What do the commands "ipconfig /all" and "route print" show you?

I'm not near the machine at the moment ( at work )

When I tried DHCP ipconfig showed that the machine was defaulting to a private IP address on a different subnet - basically just showing that DHCP wasn't working.
When I set a fixed IP address for the PC on the same subnet as the router ipconfig showed the address and default gateway set correctly - this is the case in which I could ping sucessfully ( though no more )

I haven't tried "route print"

Postby alorbach » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:46 pm

Hi,

note that you also need to set a valid DNS Server.
Otherwise name resolution will NOT work ;)!

Usually Routers act as DNS Redirector, so just use the Gateway IP as DNS Server.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:45 am

I tried Method 1 of Knowledge Base Article 817571 ( recommended by a colleague who had had a similar problem ) since I don't have a similar machine for reference.
( Essentially delete Winsock and Winsock2 entries from registry nad run "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" to reset TCP/IP )

Unfortunately it didn't work - though I now get a different message when I try to run telnet:-
"The support for the specified socket type does not exist in this address family"

I went back to the registry for a look - a Winsock2 entry had been added but not a Winsock one.
Method 2 involves exporting Winsock and Winsock2 entries for a "similar" machine but I don't have a spare.

I also removed a Network Bridge and it looks like this has wrecked TCP/IP on the box.
So - any suggestions on how to repair this short of a full rebuild which I really don't want to do?

Neil Shadrach

Postby alorbach » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:54 am

Hi,

now it seems to be trashed.
Well I don't know that article, but you should have made backups of that registry key first before deleting it. The only way to repair is to overinstall Windows XP (as far as I know).
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:11 am

> now it seems to be trashed.

Not more trashed than it was already though

> Well I don't know that article, but you should have made backups of that
> registry key first before deleting it.

I did back it up but there's no point going back to it as TCP/IP was not working at that point anyway

> The only way to repair is to overinstall Windows XP

I've not done this. Do you mean a parallel install or a repair install or something else?

Postby alorbach » Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:19 am

Anonymous wrote:Not more trashed than it was already though

LOL :D!

Anonymous wrote:I've not done this. Do you mean a parallel install or a repair install or something else?

I mean a repair installation. This will keep your settings intact, but will replace all system files (and registry data).
If this does not work, you will have to reinstall Windows XP (fresh install).

Btw just to make sure, do you exactly remember when the problems started?

Some time ago I had a similar problem on my workstation. I installed some PGP Software and it automatically installed third party Firewall Software into my system (without asking me). Unfortunately, the Firewall Software was older then Windows XP, and my TCP/IP also was broken. What I did then was a simply system restore (F8 during startup and booting into save mode) and everything was fine again.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:01 am

I mean a repair installation. This will keep your settings intact, but will replace all system files (and registry data).
If this does not work, you will have to reinstall Windows XP (fresh install).

Does that require all 3rd party software to be reinstalled?
Presumably that leaves existing data like documents in place.
Btw just to make sure, do you exactly remember when the problems started?

Yes. I had ADSL installed last Monday and just about everything was working fine through the week. It was fine on Thursday night though I was trying to find out why https:// sites were not accessible ( http:// , mail and news were fine ). It was working when I finished but I may have done something that didn't take effect until the machine was re-started. When I tried it the following evening DHCP wasn't working ... My wife had installed a game for the kids in the meantime ( proper boxed-up software from a shop - not a dodgy download ).
Some time ago I had a similar problem on my workstation. I installed some PGP Software and it automatically installed third party Firewall Software into my system (without asking me). Unfortunately, the Firewall Software was older then Windows XP, and my TCP/IP also was broken. What I did then was a simply system restore (F8 during startup and booting into save mode) and everything was fine again.

It may come to a restore of some sort. I've collected a few more knowledge base article which might be relevant and will have another try tonight.

Regards

Neil Shadrach

Postby alorbach » Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:33 am

Hi,

possible the game was not designed for windows xp and trashed something.

However, try to boot into save mode (hit F8 during startup).
Then it will ask you if you want to do a system restore. It will show you to which points the system can be restored. Choose the first available point before the game was installed.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:41 am

Tried uninstalling various things like Firewall and VirusScan and reapplying 'fixes'. In the end I decided to go for a full reinstall and within about an hour I had a working system. Lots of software to reinstall but it's a relief to have things working end-to-end again.

Thanks for the support!

Regards

Neil Shadrach

Google Ads

Next

Return to Windows Events