10009 DCOM error

Discuss Windows Event Log events. What they mean, what they tell you about your machine's security ... and whatever questions else you have.

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

10009 DCOM error

Postby Luke » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:49 pm

Hello,

I currently have a recuring error on a windows 2000 server.

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer "Name" using any of the configured protocols.

The computer which this server cannot communicate with has been removed from the domain and no longer exists.

Does anyone know how I can correct this error?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Luke
Luke

Postby therget » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:16 am

Microsoft KB wrote:
SYMPTOMS

Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) applications that connect to a Microsoft Windows 2000- and Microsoft Windows XP-based computer and are configured to use only datagram protocols receive the following error message:

Not enough storage is available to complete this operation(0x8007000e)
DCOM clients that are configured to use only datagram protocols that connect a Windows 2000 and Windows XP DCOM server receive the following error message:

The RPC Server is unavailable (Ox800706ba)
In addition, a message similar to the following appears in the Event Viewer:
EventID:10009
Source:DCOM
Type:Error
Description:DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <WWTOKEN>Remote Server Name</WWTOKEN> using any of the configured protocols
To connect to a DCOM server on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, there must be at least one common connection-oriented protocol between the client and DCOM server.

CAUSE

Component Services Administrative tool or DCOMCNFG incorrectly allows you to add Datagram User Datagram Protocol/Internet Protocol (UDP/IP) and Datagram Internet packet exchange (IPX) protocols to the Default Protocols tab. Windows 2000 and Windows XP do not support any datagram protocols.

For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
242022 INFO: DCOM on Microsoft Windows 2000 Does Not Support Any Datagram (UDP) Protocols

RESOLUTION

Make sure that connection-oriented protocols are in the DCOM protocols tab. Remove any of the Datagram protocols from DCOM protocols tab.
Bring up the Component Services Administrative tool. On the Start menu, point to Programs, Administrative Tools, and then click Component Services.
In the console tree of the Component Services Administrative tool, right-click the computer on which you want to configure the protocol, to bring up the context menu.
Click the Properties menu to bring up Computer Properties dialog box.
Click the Default Protocols tab.
If you have any of the Datagram protocols (UDP/IP or IPX) protocols listed here, click to select, and then click Remove.
If you do not have any of the connection-oriented protocols in the list, click Add to bring up Select DCOM protocol and endpoint dialog box.
Choose Connection-oriented TCP/IP Protocol as the protocol sequence, and then click OK.
Add any or all of the connection-oriented protocols to the default protocols this way.
Move Connection-oriented TCP/IP Protocol to the top of the list.
Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Original MS KB Article : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245197
therget
Frequent Poster

Re: 10009 DCOM error

Postby dax1h » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:48 pm

Luke wrote:Hello,

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer "Name" using any of the configured protocols.

The computer which this server cannot communicate with has been removed from the domain and no longer exists.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Luke

did anyone find an answer I am getting those DCOM errors on my server every hour on the hour.
dax1h

Postby somebody » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:20 am

dax1h wrote:

Thanks in advance!!!!

Luke

did anyone find an answer I am getting those DCOM errors on my server every hour on the hour.

I had this error every 30 seconds. Solved it by removing a network printer that didn't exist anymore from the printer definitions on my PC.
somebody

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:55 pm

I have the same problem. Mine too references a server that doesn't exist. I would sure like to get this fixed.

DCOM problem

Postby QC » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:03 am

I have the same problem and the error repeatedly generates every 30 secs
QC

DCOM problem

Postby Berrys66 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:51 am

I get something very similar. My AC2K cluster worked fine until I installed the security patch from Microsoft issued in mid April. After installing the patch my cluster member's event logs would be completely filled with DCOM errors within a day. After a while the 2nd node in the cluster would stop responding and the only solution would be a reboot.

so, I uninstalled the patch, and low and behold, the event logs are now no longer completely full after a day or so. Now what is happening is that the cluster will run quite happily for 2 days, and then for some reason the 2nd node loses the plot and becomes unreachable. At that point I obviously start getting the 10009 DCOM errors. Rebooting the 2nd node sometimes will bring it back into synch, but more often than not I need to restart both machines in the cluster.

Anybody else seen this behaviour? And even better - does anybody know how to fix it, short of re-installing the operating system and AC2K.

I am using AC2K SP2 on W2K SP4.
Berrys66

Re: DCOM problem

Postby guest » Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:42 pm

QC wrote:I have the same problem and the error repeatedly generates every 30 secs

I recently had this problem as well. My problem came from a network server monitoring program. I removed the server in question from the network monitoring software. The server in question was decommissioned and no longer existed on the network. After this was done all the errors stopped occuring.

Re: DCOM problem

Postby Kaytonk » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:31 am

guest wrote:
QC wrote:I have the same problem and the error repeatedly generates every 30 secs

I recently had this problem as well. My problem came from a network server monitoring program. I removed the server in question from the network monitoring software. The server in question was decommissioned and no longer existed on the network. After this was done all the errors stopped occuring.

Had the same problem, it was an old printer setup to a workstation that I had renamed :shock:
Kaytonk

Postby FlatbedExpress » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:11 pm

I have this error on our server whenever the workstations are shutdown. Does anyone have a fix?
FlatbedExpress

Re: DCOM Problem

Postby GoldRush » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:17 pm

I get the same error on a Windows XP Pro machine. I have traced it to a mapped printer. The problem is that I still print to that printer. I get the errors every ~30 seconds. At the end of the day, I delete the printer before leaving the office and the errors stop. At the beginning of the day, I re-add the printer and print to it all day long -- and, I get the errors all day long. It is a laptop comoputer that I use a lot of different places. All the other printers that I have mapped don't show this behavior - even my "home" Printers that can't be accessed when I'm at work. Does anyone have any suggestions or explanations for this odd behavior? Thanks!

Bret
GoldRush

Postby vinoyee » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:46 pm

somebody wrote:
dax1h wrote:

Thanks in advance!!!!

Luke

I had this error every 30 seconds. Solved it by removing a network printer that didn't exist anymore from the printer definitions on my PC.
vinoyee

my fix

Postby bool » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:26 pm

i`ve got this error on my win2k adv. serv.
i think the reason was the printer on other computer thet was shared but sutted down. deleting the printer from the printers tab fix this problem
bool

EventID: 10009 Source: DCOM

Postby SriAlp » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:14 pm

Hi,
The network printer which was renamed, deleted or removed is causing this error. Please check your defined printers and delete unused and old ones.
SriAlp

Delete the DCOM key from eventlog in registry

Postby pini » Wed May 04, 2005 1:20 pm

I had the same problem for a long time and tried everything.
The error repeated itself every few minutes filling up the system log.

The erors are with names of computers that have a network printer connected to them which the windows 2000 server uses.

What I did was to delete the following key from registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\System\DCOM

The errors stoped showing.
pini

Google Ads

Next

Return to Windows Events