0123Divide by zero error - new server install

Discussions on Microsoft's new server operating system. This works in conjunction with the http://www.windows-expert.net web pages.

Moderator: alorbach

Google Ads

0123Divide by zero error - new server install

Postby PaulJG » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Need some help, dont have any experience with server installations.

I've bought a couple of Intel xeon rack servers, and windows 2003 server 2nd edition.

I used the deployment software that came with the server to startup the windows setup. Seems to copy the setup files from the cd to harddrive.
I get the message that the server must be restarted.. and it ejects the windows cd.

server restarts.. then I get this!:

0123divide by zero (86AC:1430)
Rom_Dos Fatal error!

Internal Error! (3.461)
System Halted

---

And thats as far as I get!

Please help.. totally stuck!
PaulJG
New

Postby alorbach » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:37 pm

From which vendor are the motherbaords?
This error looks very odd, maybe you need to prepare your system with a cd from the vendor first, before you install windows 2003.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby PaulJG » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:41 pm

Novatech.co.uk

They are genuine Intel S5000Pal server boards.

Should I have to format the raid harddrives before installing the OP? It says the Raid level 5 system is active with 608444megs available. Which sounds about right.

But then its saying its copied the files from cd to harddrive.. its when it reboots to start installing the files I get the error.
PaulJG
New

Postby alorbach » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:55 pm

You may need to load drivers for the raid controller using F6 and the driver disk during the setup load.

I doubt Windows 2003 CD will know your raid controller.
alorbach
Site Admin

Postby PaulJG » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:20 pm

Wont let me press f6.

Just tried 2rd server, same error.

Again.. installs files to harddrive, wants to reboot - get the error..

when installing windows directly from CD, goes through the setup then I get this message "setup was unable to load support for mass storage device"

which I think points to raid drivers..

When I select "load drivers" I get the message "could not find floppy drive on this machine to load OEM drivers" -cos there is no floppy drive on a server!
PaulJG
New

Postby alorbach » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:39 pm

You should temporary connect a floppy drive to the server, I for example always use my USB Floppy drive which I got with my notebook.

Alternative you may can put them on a USB stick, or burn them on CD. Not sure if the Windows 2003 can read them from there.

You may consider to use Windows 2008, it can read oem drivers from USB Sticks for sure.
alorbach
Site Admin

working :)

Postby PaulJG » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:59 am

Thanks for your help. :D

Got it going!, had to do what you said - connect a floppy drive and copy the drivers from CD to floppy.

At least it got me the windows install, pain the **** having to install the drivers at the other end.. but at least I'm in.

Incase you wondered, worked a few things out..

Couldnt press F6, cos I was using the redeployment distribution CD that came with the server. This of course sets up a install script, which doesnt take into consideration keypresses. Hence why keybaord wasnt working.

The CD was loading the raid drivers into memory, so once windows wanted to restart after copying files to harddrive - the raid drivers wouldnt kick in.

I find it really funny that even though there's a couple of grands worth of servers sitting infront of me, I've still got to go back to using floppies and messing around taking & unpacking files from the CD.

Progress huh!?

Anyway.. once again - Thankyou.
PaulJG
New

Postby alorbach » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:03 am

Nice you got it working ;)!

Yeah it's indeed funny that there are still times where we have to get back to a good old floppy drive lol. But it gets harder from year to year to find workings disks, their lifetime isn't forever ;)

regards,
Andre
alorbach
Site Admin

Google Ads

Return to Windows Server 2003